Someone recently asked my kids what is their favorite part of Durango, and they said, “Being able to walk to town.” We live just a few blocks from downtown Durango, and we have all LOVED it. Don and I will often walk to main street for coffee in the afternoon or drinks together at night. We’ll all walk down sometimes for meals or errands.
And one afternoon, I just went out with the kids for a walk to the Animas River, about a mile away, and it ended up being one of our favorite days together. You never know where you’ll end up or what you’ll find if you leave yourself open to opportunities. We had a vague, basic destination with many cool surprises along the way.
Some of the highlights:
- Finding a Boomerang at Buckley Park at learning to throw it
- Feeding the Trout at the Fish Hatchery
- Watching Deer up-close for a long time
- Slip-sliding on the frozen water in the river
- Visiting the Birding Nature Store
- Eating Frozen Yogurt at Top That
- Making each other laugh all along the way
Learning to Throw the Boomerang – Lots of Bloopers along the Way
Durango Fish Hatchery – We lucked out and arrived around feeding time!
Fun time along Animas River – Isaac’s leg fell in though! Kinda funny. 🙂
“Topped off” Day at Top That FroYo – Perfect ending